2013 has been quite the year of fitness for me. I conquered Insanity, tackled p90x, toughed out a Tough Mudder, and started training for my first marathon! While the last 3 1/2 months have been the most run-filled, no matter what workout regime I was following, running was always a part of it.
So when I ran across this link-up (no pun intended. Ok, I lied – totally intended) from Miss Zippy (super cute running blog name be-tee-dubs), I thought it would be fun to get involved. So here we goooo!
- Best race experience? I only did a handful of races this year, but I’d have to say my favorite was the Tough Mudder. I got to run. I got to climb. I got to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. I also got shocked by electrical wires and submerged in a dumpster of ice, but hey, give a little, take a little right? Anyway, the 11 miles of running and obstacles and more or less rolling around in mud with friends was a blast.
- Best run? I’m not sure what my best run was, but one of my most memorable was running for the first time without music. I was visiting family in Texas, keeping up with my marathon training, when my ear buds died. I ran 4 miles with just the sound of nature and my feet hitting the pavement. It was gloriously peaceful.
- Best new piece of gear? My Garmin 610. This bad boy has powered me through my marathon training, providing the sometimes surprising and sometime long awaited buzz of another passing mile. It has also been the star of my instagram lately!
- Best piece of running advice you received? Nutrition is key! You can get in the miles, but proper fuel gives you the stamina and the power to go the distance (again, pun totally intended).
- Most inspirational runner? Jimmy Jensen. Hands down. If you don’t know who I’m talking about you have to watch this.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Healthy. Happy. Determined. Free.
2013 was an incredible year, especially in terms of upping my running game. So what’s in store for 2014? First I’m going to run my first marathon (!!) and then I’m taking on The Run This Year Challenge. Basically, I am going to run the year in kilometers (2,014 km or about 3.5 miles a day). There is also a challenge to run the year in miles, but 2,014 kilometers seemed like a big enough goal for me :).
How did 2013 treat you? What are your health and fitness goals for the coming year?