Enjoy breakfast on the run with these healthy, savory and oh-so delicious grab-and-go Bacon Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins. They’re dairy free, gluten free and can easily be made paleo.
Even though I work from home, I don’t like spending a lot of time making breakfast. I want to get my day started and not have to fuss too much in the kitchen or have a lot of dishes to clean after. One of my favorite breakfasts to prep ahead of time (besides overnight oats) are egg muffins. They’re super easy to make and can be adjusted to your tastes. In the morning, pull them out of the fridge, pop them in the microwave and you’re good to go.
One of my favorite combos? Bacon Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins!
Not only are these Bacon Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins dairy free and gluten free, but they can also easily be made paleo-friendly.
The tiniest bit of meal prep will leave you with breakfast for the entire week. Simply whisk together your eggs, add in whatever you’d normally put in an omelette and pour the mixture into muffin tins. Toss it in the oven, and a few minutes later you’ve got yourself mini bacon broccoli cheddar egg muffins. They’re like little personal quiches!
Grab them as you head out the door, and eat them on your way to work or at the office. They’re also perfect for kiddos and are a great way to sneak some veggies into their diet.
As I mentioned, the best part of this recipe is that it can be easily tweaked to create a million different combinations. While this one has broccoli, bacon and vegan cheddar (Daiya is the best!), you can easily switch up the add-ins to create an entirely new egg muffin. I’ve make pepperoni and mushroom egg muffins, spinach and mozzarella egg muffins, and next, I’m thinking about sun dried tomato egg muffins!
Ok, I won’t leave you hanging any longer! Behold… the recipe!
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
- small handful broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar shreds (omit for strict paleo)
- Prehat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin pan liberally with non-stick spray. Better yet, use a silicone muffin pan like this one. A silicone pan will make it MUCH easier to remove your muffins and clean up afterward.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk in your milk, salt and pepper and evenly distribute the mixture among the 12 muffin tins.
- Sprinkle a few pieces of chopped bacon and broccoli into each tin.
- Top each muffin tin mix with a few shreds of vegan cheddar cheese.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once cool, carefully take the muffins out of the tin, place in tupperware and store in the fridge.
- To reheat: Place 3 muffins in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Grab, go, enjoy!
What’s your favorite egg/mix-in combo?
This post has been updated from 9/26/16.