Remember when you were a kid and you always wanted dessert for breakfast? Oh wait… that was yesterday!! I woke up craving a bowl of ice cream. I almost headed to the freezer, but then I told myself, “Self, do you really want to start the day on this note? You know you’ll feel better with a more well-rounded breakfast.” Ok, self, you win. I still wanted ice cream, though, so I got creative with my breakfast. Hitherto, Banana Split Oats!
All the deliciousness of a big ol’ ice cream sundae with all of the benefits of fruits and oats. Plus a little dose of protein and health fats. Can’t beat it!
Is it breakfast? Is it dessert? IDK I’m so confused!! Delicious. That’s what it is. DE-LISH-OUS!
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla protein powder
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, chocolate chips, maple syrup
- Cook the oats with the water according to package directions . (I microwave mine for 2 minutes)
- Divide the cooked oats into three dishes.
- In the first dish of oats, mix in the chocolate protein powder.
- In the second dish of oats, mix in the vanilla protein powder.
- In the third dish of oats, mix and mash in the strawberries.
- Slice the banana in half lengthwise and place in a bowl.
- Scoop each flavor of oats into the bowl between the banana slices.
- Top with nuts, chocolate chips, whatever you like and enjoy!
- Nutrition facts will vary depending on your protein powder.
Do you ever crave dessert for breakfast?
What’s your go to sweet yet savory breakfast?
What’s your favorite healthy dessert?