Surprise Santa, and get your holiday cookie on with these festive, easy-to-make, gluten free Candy Cane Sugar Cookie Sandwiches!
Christmas and Hanukkah are this weekend. Can you believe it? Between moving and job hunting and general life craziness, the holidays really snuck up on me!
I’m excited to head back to NY for the holidays. It will be a super quick weekend (landing Friday morning and leaving Monday), but it will be nice to see family and spread the holiday cheer.
One thing that has been getting me in the holiday spirit despite all the craziness is holiday cookies! I’ve been making these Candy Candy Sugar Cookie Sandwiches for years, and can’t believe I haven’t shared them yet on the blog. Admittedly, they aren’t the healthiest cookies around, but they are amongst the most delicious!
I cheated a tad and used a gluten-free box mix to make the cookies. I baked ’em up, and once cool, spread on my favorite better-for-you frosting, made sandwiches, and rolled the edges of the cookie sandwiches in crushed up candy cane pieces.
The result is deliciously sweet and refreshing.
Sugar cookies. Frosting. Peppermint. It’s the perfect Christmas cookie combo! Leave ’em out for Santa alongside a Holiday Wine Slushy (because let’s face it, Santa needs more than milk after all that chimney shimmy-ing) , and I bet you’ll get everything on your wish list!
- Bake the cookies according to box directions. You should have about 24 cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on the bottom of one cookie, and place another cookie on top, forming a sandwich.
- Spread a little more frosting around the seam of the sandwich and roll it in the crushed up candy cane.
- Repeat for all remaining cookies.
- Serve immediately or store in a tupperware for 3-4 days.
What’s your favorite type of holiday cookie?
This post is linked up with Meatless Mondays.