Give your lunch a healthy kick with this perfectly spicy, no-mayo Chipotle Chicken Salad Sandwich. Paleo and gluten free!
This post is sponsored by GoAvo.
I have a confession. While I tend to get pretty creative with breakfasts, snacks, dinners and desserts, I’m pretty boring when it comes to lunch. I usually just make some iteration of the same salad each and every day. It goes something like this: spinach or kale topped with grape tomatoes, avocado and some sort of protein (grilled chicken and tuna are my go-tos).
Well the other day, I decided to switch things up and make a lunch classic: the good old sandwich. First I had to find a good, easy, allergy-friendly bread recipe. I landed on a modified, non-cinnamon-raisin version of The Big Man’s World Microwave Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin.
Once I had my bread, I had to decide what to stuff it with. I recently received a few awesome spreads from GoAvo and figured they would be the perfect addition to my sandwich experiment.
As you can see on the bottles, these avocado spreads are the new way to mayonnaise! They have the same creamy consistency as mayo without all the calories, fat, cholesterol or sodium. They’re also non-GMO, dairy-free, soy-free (it’s incredible hard to find a may that doesn’t have soybean oil, btw), gluten-free and vegan! Each bottle contains nearly 90% avocado, so being an avocado lover, I was pretty certain I was going to love this stuff. Since they compare themselves to mayo, I figured the best way to put them to the test would be to create a usually mayo-heavy dish: chicken salad.
I used the Chipotle GoAvo to give my chicken salad a spicy kick. They also have a plain and basil flavors. You guys, I’m so obsessed with this stuff. It’s super creamy and flavorful, and so much healthier than mayo! I also really love putting this on top of an omelette or on top of a burrito bowl! YUM!
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1-3 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- pinch of salt
- flaxseed meal for dusting
- 1 12oz can chunk white chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup Chipotle GoAvo
- small handful spinach leaves
- Coat a microwave safe cereal bowl with coconut oil.
- Mix the coconut flour and baking powder together in the bowl.
- Add the unsweetened applesauce, egg, almond milk (start with 1 Tbsp and add more as needed) and salt and mix well.
- Microwave for 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, and place bread on a plate (if you flip the bowl over, it should slide right out). Dust both sides with flaxseed meal and let cool. Don't try to cut the bread too soon or it will all mush together and fall apart. Give it a few minutes to cool.
- Once cool, slice in half and toast to desired crispness.
- While your bread is toasting, combine the chicken and GoAvo in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Once bread is done, top with spinach leaves and about 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Save the rest for another sandwich!
What’s your go-to lunch?
Are you an avocado fan? Have you ever tried GoAvo?
This post is linked up with Foodie Friday.