Get your superfood on with this deliciously filling, simple yet elegant Chocolate Almond Acai Bowl.
As a self-proclaimed foodie, I like to try all kinds of food trends, and acai bowls are no exception. They’ve been around for a while now, but I’ve only had a few because they tend to cost a pretty penny. So, as I tend to do with foods I like that cost too much, I decided to create my own for less!
I am by no means an acai expert, but I do know that the acai berry comes from the Amazon (the place in Brazil, not the website), is antioxidant-rich and has been found to have so many health benefits that it’s been classified as a superfood.
Because acai comes from Brazil, it’s hard to find fresh acai in the US (this is part of the reason acai bowls from your local smoothie joint are so expensive). When I decided to create my own bowl, I went on a hunt for either an acai powder or pre-pureed acai.
Trader Joe’s came to the rescue, in terms of both ingredients and price. They sell four packets of unsweetened organic acai puree for under five bucks! BAZINGA!
By the way, I don’t have a partnership with Trader Joe’s (I wish!). I just think that place is pretty much heaven on earth.
All you have to do to make the fancy thing smoothie shops charge you an arm and a leg for is thaw the acai packet under warm water, throw it in a blender with the milk of your choice and other delicious ingredients, and blend it up! Then top it off with whatever your heart desires.
I decided to make a chocolate almond concoction, so I blended the acai with almond milk, banana, chocolate protein powder, chocolate almond butter and cacao nibs. I used a bunch of things that I had in my pantry and fridge, but I did a rough cost estimate. This baby came out at under $4. The smoothie shop around the corner charges $10 for virtually the same thing!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 packet frozen unsweetened acai puree (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 Tbsp chocolate almond butter (I used I used Barney Butter)
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs (I used these ones)
- optional: 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used PlantFusion Lean)
- Optional toppings: chia seeds, cacoa nibs, more chocolate almond butter, fresh banana slices, fresh berries, coconut flakes
- Thaw your acai puree (if frozen) under hot water for a few seconds.
- Cut open the packet and add to a blender with almond milk, frozen banana, almond butter, cacao nibs and protein powder (if using).
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with any toppings you'd like (I used chia seeds, more cacao nibs, and drizzle on some extra chocolate almond butter).
- Grab a spoon and rejoice in the deliciousness.
Have you ever had an acai bowl?
What would you put in yours?
This post contains affiliate links.