These super moist vegan and gluten free Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies will fool any desserts-can’t-be-healthy naysayer.
A few years ago Will and I were going up to his parents’ lake house for a family weekend. We were in charge of bringing dessert. Who in their right mind would put a healthy-living blogger in charge of dessert? Naturally, I took it as a challenge to create a healthy dessert that no one would believe is healthy.
At the time, chickpeas were all the rage, so I decided to try my hand at a chickpea-based dessert. I’d made chocolate chip cookie dough dip before. Could I turn that dip into a baked delight? I gave it a shot and a few minutes later, these vegan and gluten free Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies were born.
I brought them up to the lake house and come dessert-time, unveiled my goodies.
“What do we have here?” everyone asked.
“Oh, just some chocolate chip blondies,” I replied, conveniently leaving out the “chickpea” part.
I waited for them to say “yum” and come back for seconds before dropping the guess-what’s-in-them bomb.
“Oh you know, there’s just some almond butter, maple syrup, chocolate chips, annnnnnnd chickpeas!”
Bwahaha. Evil healthy-living blogger.
For real though, these gluten free chocolate chip chickpea blondies are perfectly sweet and have just the right touch of rich chocolately goodness. I wouldn’t believe they were flourless and eggless if I hadn’t made them myself!
I recently made them again for the first time in years, and you know what? They’re still good and even easier to make than I remembered. Simply throw all the ingredients (with the exception of the chocolate chips) into a food processor, fold in the chocolate, pour into a dish and bake.
Another good thing about these gluten free chocolate chip chickpea blondies? Because they don’t contain eggs, you can lick up the batter! That is the best part of baking, after all.
And with that… the recipe!
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processer and process until a smooth batter is formed.
- Fold in the 1/4 cup of the chocolate chunks and pour batter into the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks on top and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting and enjoying every healthy bite.
What’s your favorite you wouldn’t-believe-it’s-healthy dessert?