I feel like it’s been so long since the last Cooking Week for MMAZ. There were so many amazing recipes from the last round of MMAZ that I had a hard time deciding which one to try first! I ended up going with Heather’s Single Serving Double Chocolate Protein Cake for a few reasons:
- I had all of the ingredients handy.
- With a few tweaks, it fits into my no-nuts, no-wheat, no-corn, no-soy diet. Eliminating all that stuff has not been easy, but more on that later.
- It’s high protein, which is my focus right now.
- It uses Vega products, which I LOVE (and which you can enter to win here!).
Looks delicious, no? I apologize that mine looks a bit messy. It looked and smelled so good after heating it up that I couldn’t wait to eat it! Sometimes temptation trumps pretty pictures. #foodbloggerproblems
I made a few modifications to the original recipe:
- All-purpose gluten-free flour instead of peanut flour.
- Vega Sport Perfomance Protein in Chocolate instead of Vega One Nutritional Shake. (Check out all the awesome benefits of the Vega Sport Performance Protein here and enter to win a box of the Vanilla flavor here!)
- NuNaturals NuStevia Prebiotic Blend instead of Truvia
- Unsweetened baking chocolate instead of chocolate chips (the ones I found all had soy).
I love that you can make this whole recipe in one little bowl. I had to add a little extra applesauce to make it a little creamier, but other than that and the few simple substitutions above, I followed Heather’s recipe.
I also topped my cake with sunflower seed butter and NuNaturals Cocoa Syrup (which you can also enter to win here!) Yum yum yum! I’ll definitely be making this little treat again. It is so tasty, uber filling, and I get the added bonus of all the protein :). Thanks for the awesome recipe, Heather!
Check out Heather’s original Single Serving Double Chocolate Protein Cake Recipe.
But that’s not all, my friends! After all, what is a chocolate without vanilla? The two go hand-in-hand like peanut butter & jelly. Bert & Ernie. Salt & pepper. Me & bulldogs. That last one may or may not be a hint to my boyfriend, but anyways!
Since Heather created such a delicious recipe with Chocolate Vega Protein, I wanted to create another delicious recipe with Vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein. For one, I wanted to give my tastebuds the perfect chocolate to vanilla balance. And two, I wanted to show you all what you can do with the vanilla protein powder the that you could win from the Blogiversary Bonanaza Giveaway! So, without further ado, here is a little bonus Vanilla recipe on this Meatless Monday!
What makes this smoothie bowl so great? First of all, it’s a smoothie. In a bowl! It’s nice and thick and I can eat it with a spoon. Yippee!
Second, Vega Sport Performance Protein is a great tasting, allergen-free way to repair muscles and speed up recovery time after a good workout. Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, and all of the other ingredients combined create one amazingly scrumptious smoothie bowl!
Looking to make this smoothie but don’t have the protein to do it? Well, if you didn’t catch it before, I’m giving away some Vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein! Head on over here to enter the giveaway!
What’s your favorite protein-rich dessert?
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 cup egg whites (equivalent to 4 egg whites)*
- 1 scoop Vega Sport Performance Protein, Vanilla
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 small handful blueberries
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 tsp honey (agave for vegan), or sweetener of choice
- optional toppings: unsweetened coconut flakes, buckwheat groats, chopped dates
- Combine milk-honey in a high speed blender.
- Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add any toppings you'd like.
- Eat up!
- *To make this smoothie vegan, simply replace the egg whites with an additional 3/4 cup non-dairy milk.