Celebrate National Frozen Custard Day in style with this Dairy Free Sea Salted Caramel Frozen Custard! One spoonful will have you praising the foodie gods for a deliciously glorious day.
This post is sponsored by Dollop Gourmet.
A few months ago, I was killing some time at my local Whole Foods, which is an incredibly dangerous way to kill time (aka it also killed my wallet), and came across Dollop Gourmet frosting. Dairy free, gluten free, soy free, corn free, non-GMO, vegan frosting. I thought to myself, “Is this heaven?” Looks around. Sees $25 price tag on some cookies. Mmmm nope, still Whole Foods. But that means this frosting is real!
I snatched some up and went straight to check out. Did I need frosting? Nope. I wasn’t making a cake or cupcakes or anything that involved frosting for that matter, but when you are allergic to all the things and you find something you can eat, you tend to snatch it up and hoard it away. Hey, ya never know when the apocalypse may hit. I need to stock up of allergy-friendly foods!
After tasting the frosting and loving it, I reached out to Dollop Gourmet and am now officially an ambassador! What what! That means some sweet recipes and delicious giveaways are heading your way. Since it’s National Frozen Custard Day (yup, that’s a thing), my first Dollop Gourmet concoction is this Dairy Free Sea Salted Caramel Frozen Custard.
I used Dollop Gourmet’s Sea Salted Caramel Frosting to create this amazing frozen treat, and boy does it add a wham of flavor. It gives this custard just the right amount of sweetness and has even been boyfriend approved!
Beyond the frosting, the only other ingredients you need to make this dish are coconut milk, eggs and vanilla extract. One. Two. Three. Four. Do your happy frozen custard dance on the floor! (I was totally a rap star in a former life).
I suggest serving this custard topped with raw cacao nibs, chocolate syrup or even an extra dollop of Sea Salted Caramel frosting! You really can never have enough frosting, after all.
If you want to give Dollop a try (which you totally should), head over to their website and get yourself some! Use code “fitfulfocus” for 10% OFF!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dollop Gourmet Sea Salted Caramel Frosting
- optional toppings: raw cacao nibs, chocolate syrup, extra frosting
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and rest a heat proof bowl on top of/slightly into the pot to create a double boiler (or use an actual double boiler if you have one).
- Pour the coconut milk and vanilla extract into the bowl and heat, but insure the mixture doesn't come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in medium-large bowl.
- Once the coconut milk mixture is hot, add one ladleful to the eggs and whisk vigorously. Slowly add two more ladles of the coconut milk to the eggs, constantly whisking.
- Pour the egg/coconut milk mixture back into the double boiler and continue whisking for 5 minutes or so, until a thick custard forms. Insure the mixture never comes to a boil.
- Once thickened, allow to cool in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes. Once, it's cool enough, stir in the frosting. Allow to cool 10-20 more minutes in the fridge.
- Place the mixture in your ice cream maker and use according to its instructors or place in the freezer and give it a really good stir every 30 minutes for 2 hours or until set.
- Before serving, allow to sit out on the counter for 10 minutes or so to make it more scoopable.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
Are you a frosting fan?
What would you put this Sea Salted Caramel Frosting on?
This post is linked up with Meatless Mondays.