When you’re facing a busy day, don’t leave the house without these deliciously filling Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Energy Balls.
If today is your first day back to the blog, what do you think of the new site design? Be sure to check out the new and improved recipe page! I’ve also incorporated a “YUM!” button on the side and over any image for those of you that use Yummly, so now you can share and save any Fitful Focus recipe to your recipe box!
Speaking of recipes, I’ve been on a serious energy ball/bite kick lately. When I ran out of my Gingerbread Protein Bites, I needed to whip up more in a jiffy. The only question became: what kind?!
Fortunately, this month’s Recipe Redux theme gave me the answer.
It’s the end of the year and we’re taking a moment to reflect – The Recipe ReDux has been around for 54 months! To celebrate, we’re playing a little party game this month: Grab your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 54 or 154. We can’t wait to see the books you’re cooking from these days.
(Of course, please don’t forget to credit the original recipe and change enough of the recipe to make it your own.)
I went straight for my favorite new cookbook, Meals On The Run, flipped to page 54 and low-and-behold, the recipe that lay before me was for Chocolate Chip Trail Mix Balls! Is that fate or what? I tweaked a few things in the recipe and turned those balls into these crazy delicious soy free, gluten free and vegan friendly Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Energy Balls!
These little bites of joy are pretty much everything you’d love in a trail mix all rolled into one. The original recipe called for almond butter, but I took it up a notch with Nuttzo’s Chocolate Power Fuel. I also swapped pumpkin seeds for sunflower seeds, dark chocolate chips for cashews and left out the wheat germ. Who wants wheat germ, anyway?
These little suckers are so good, and two of them will really fill you right up. They’re perfect to bring along on all of your last minute shopping trips and to munch on during the holiday craziness that is sure to occur in the next few days. Besides enjoying them as a snack, I’ll also crumble one on top of a smoothie bowl. So many noms.
Onto the recipe!
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate nut butter (I used Nuttzo Chocolate Power Fuel)
- 1/2 cup honey (or agave for vegan friendly)
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted almonds
- In a food processor, mix together the nut butter and honey/agave until smooth and well combined.
- Add in the oats, sunflower seeds, cashews, cherries and almonds and process until everything begins to stick together (this may take a few minutes).
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out a bit of the mixture at a time and gently roll into balls.
- Store in the refrigerator or freeze for later use.
What’s your favorite on-the-go snack?
What’s your favorite thing to put in trail mix?
This post is also linked up with Foodie Friday.