As you may know, I’m off sailing the seas on vacation this week, but a few amazing bloggers are stepping in with some pretty sweet guests posts for you all.
Introducing Lindsay from Lindsay Weighs In. Lindsay is one inspiring chick. She’s on a mission to lose 70 pounds, and rather than viewing it as a struggle, she’s out there making the most of it and staying positive! You should definitely add her blog to your reader. She’s a firm believer that working out should be a fun activity vs. a chore and has experimented with pretty much every type of workout possible. Her new love? Group fitness! With the exception of a few yoga or spin classes here and there, I tend to workout solo (usually because of my early morning time frame and lack of a gym membership), but after reading this post, I want to workout with Lindsay!
Hello lovely Fitful Focus readers! I’m so happy to be here filling in for my fellow Sweat Pink Ambassador Sister, Nicole!
My name is Lindsay and I blog over at Lindsay Weighs In about my journey to lose 70 pounds.
(That is my super tough face, in case you were wondering!)
I’m a wannabe runner, iced coffee lover and OBSESSED with Yorkies. I have no shame (even though I probably should!) I will walk up to anyone with a Yorkie, and ask to pet it. Does that make me a creep? Don’t answer that.
This isn’t my first weight loss rodeo however, and I’ve lost the same 40 pounds at least twice, only to gain it back.
This time, I’m determined to lose the weight, and to never find it again!
(A more normal picture, so you know I’m not totally bonkers!)
For me, not only healthy eating, but also exercise plays a huge part in my weight loss efforts. Most people are able to exercise alone and kick their own butt, but that’s not the case for me! Enter: group exercise classes!
When I get on the elliptical or treadmill, the hour seems to go by so slowly. That’s not the case when I’m in a group class!
I was definitely scared the first time I decided to try an exercise class. I remember standing there, wondering if I was going to mess up everyone up by being there, or be in everyone’s way. Neither of those were the case.
There are definitely regulars that attend classes, but they will always be helpful to you. I’ve helped people with the steps, how to set up a bike, or what you might need for a class, like how clip in shoes will help you in a spin class.
I know a lot of people are intimidated by taking a group exercise class, but there’s really no reason to be. For a while, I stayed away from any class that you needed equipment for, and I think that’s the case for a lot of people as well. Knowing what you need, and how to set yourself up, will get easier with every class. Also, people are always more than happy to help you out!
If you name an exercise class, I’ve probably taken it. I’ve taken a lot of Les Mills classes: BodyStep, BodyPump, RPM, BodyCombat, BodyAttack, Yoga, Pilates, BodyFlow, CXWorx. There’s very little at my gym that I haven’t tried! I like some more than others, and it’s taken some trial and error to figure out what I liked best, and what I wanted to make time for in my schedule.
For me, the energy in an RPM room singing along with the songs, or counting down the kicks we have left in BodyAttack motivates me. It makes me happy, and makes me want to come to class, even when I don’t feel like working out.
I like group exercise so much that I even thought about becoming an RPM instructor, although ultimately decided against it.
I’ve been taking group exercises classes for about two years now, and have definitely learned a lot!
What I’ve Learned While Taking Classes:
- Make sure to show up early for class, especially if it’s a class that you’re going to need to set up equipment for!
- When the instructor asks if you’re new RAISE YOUR HAND! I can’t stress this one enough. They will give you modified moves, and also make sure that you’re doing it correctly.
- Get up front! I know you want to hide in the back, but if you’re like me and need glasses to see far away, it’s going to be hard to see what the instructor is doing.
- Everybody messes up, even the instructor! All that matters is that you’re out there. I have no rhythm, yet I love Zumba classes. Think about someone you know that can’t dance and then multiply that by 10. That’s me out there. However, if I don’t know what they’re doing I just shake my butt or do the sprinkler. Nobody cares. You’re out there sweating, and that’s all that matters.
- You don’t have to like every class you take. Try it out, if it doesn’t work for you, find one that does! I hated BodyCombat, even though I liked the instructor, so I stopped doing it! There’s only so many hours in the day – spend your hour exercising doing something that makes you happy.
If you haven’t tried a group exercise class, I hope that you’ll try it out! It’s my favorite way to sweat, and hopefully it will help me reach my weight loss goals!
Do you take group exercise classes? Tell me your favorite!