Fill your home with the scent of pure autumn goodness by baking these deliciously golden gluten & dairy free pumpkin scones.
This post is sponsored by NOW Foods.
I can’t believe it’s the end of November. Usually, I’ll have made all the pumpkin things by now, but I haven’t been doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen lately. My mind has been elsewhere with everything going on with my Mom, but after taking a brief break from ‘gramming, blogging and podcasting, I’m finally back. And I’m back with something that gives me all the fall feels: gluten & dairy free pumpkin scones!
I’ve been meaning to attempt these gluten & dairy free pumpkin scones since… oh… SEPTEMBER. A can of pumpkin puree has been sitting on my kitchen counter taunting me on the daily. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I figured there was no better time than now to get my cooking game back, so I took out some of my favorite gluten-free flours from NOW Foods, opened up that can of pumpkin puree and got to experimenting.
I’ve never attempted making scones before. To be honest I don’t know if I’ve every actually had a scone (#glutenfreeproblems). I just know they always look so delicious behind bakery glass. I probably shouldn’t be admitting that to you because if I haven’t had a scone how do I know that these gluten & dairy free pumpkin scones actually taste like scones. Well… if it looks like a walks like scone and talks like a scone it must be a scone, right? Yep… I’m going with it.
To make them look even more like the scones I’ve oogled in bakeries, I added a simple vanilla glaze. I know, so fancy.
I may have to whip up a fresh batch of these on Thanksgiving morning. I can’t imagine anything better than curling up on the couch with a dairy-free latte, the Macy’s Parade and one of these fresh out of the oven.
- ¾ cup NOW Foods organic coconut flour
- ½ cup NOW Foods almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold dairy-free margarine
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup NOW Foods organic coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons NOW Foods organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Cut the margarine into the dry ingredients and mix together using your hands (this will help create the right texture).
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Gently mix together with your hands.
- Sprinkle some coconut flour onto the parchment-line baking sheet. Place your dough on the sheet and sprinkle the top with a little more coconut flour. Gently turn the dough to lightly dust each side with flour.
- Gentle press the dough out into a 6 inch circle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 triangles and carefully separate the triangles, creating a few inches between each triangle.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove and let cool before adding glaze.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- While the scones are baking, make your glaze by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- For a thicker glaze, add more sugar. For a thinner glaze, add more almond milk.
- When the scones are done, allow them to cool a few minutes before drizzling the glaze over the scones.
Have you had all the pumpkin things yet?