Ditch the less than healthy takeout for this gluten and soy free Healthy Chicken & Cashews recipe!
Happy last day of Hanukkah, my friends! I celebrated with my whole extended family this weekend and got some great gifts, including Plate to Pixel (which I can’t wait to read and put to use), some new Converse kicks, this awesome book by The Oatmeal and the Back to the Future triology on bluray. I made out pretty well!
Now it’s onto Christmas. One of my favorite Christmas traditions as a Jew who doesn’t celebrate Christmas is getting Chinese food on Christmas day. When I started dating Will, I was excited to be able to celebrate Christmas in all it’s true Christmas glory, but I was going to be sad to lose my Jewish Chinese food tradition. Well, as luck would have it, Will’s family always gets Chinese food on Christmas Eve! He has no idea how many points went into the keep-the-boyfriend jar after discovering that. (Ok… I don’t really have a keep-the-boyfriend jar. Or do I…)
Anywho… this year I started getting the itch for Chinese food a bit early, so I decided to whip up my own healthier version of Will’s favorite Chinese food dish: Chicken & Cashews!
I used my special Soy Free Soy Sauce to make this dish allergen free and extra delicious and got Will’s seal of approval.
One of my favorite things about recreating classic Chinese food (and by classic I mean Americanized Chinese food) is how easy the recipes can be. Once you have everything chopped up, it’s really just throwing it into a pan or a wok if you have one, and cooking it up!
Onto the deets!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 - 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- optional: rice
- 1/3 cup soy free soy sauce (link in post)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- Prepare rice (if using) according to package instructions.
- Toss the chicken in the arrowroot starch.
- Preheat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken in the wok for 5 – 8 minutes, or until nearly cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the bell peppers, cashews and green onions to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the pan and reduce to medium low.
- Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and serve atop rice (if using).
Today is the LAST DAY to enter the Nektar Naturals Giveaway and you still have a few days to enter the MEGA UnderArmour Giveaway! Do it to it!
What’s your favorite Chinese food dish?
Do you have Chinese food as part of you Christmas celebrations?
This post contains affiliate links.