Hello! I apologize for being MIA last week. I was off in California for a friend’s wedding and a little vacation time. I thought I would have time to post, but obviously that didn’t happen. But anyways! I’m back now with a fun post and some giveaway winners!
First of all, huge congrats to Susan and Jessie! Aren’t they a beautiful couple?
Their wedding was absolutely beautiful. Can you beat Big Sur as a destination? I mean, look at these views?
I could go on and on about the views (and the food – yum!) from the wedding, but instead I’m here to chat about being back in the good old NYC and the healthy haul I always bring home from the grocery.
Each week I go to the grocery and come back with certain staples to keep my kitchen stocked with health and yumminess.
1. Kale – This is my favorite salad base. It’s packed with vitamin-k, iron, antioxidants, is a good anti-inflammatory, and has a good amount of protein for a veggie. I also enjoy the crunch and slightly bitter taste of these dark greens.
2. Bananas – Potassium, healthy carbs, depression-fighters, and did I mention they make a mean healthy ice cream? I don’t think I go a day without having at least half a banana. They’re a must-add to any smoothie.
3. Greek Yogurt – I am very lactose intolerant, but I can usually handle greek yogurt, which is naturally very low in lactose, if I take a Lactaid pill with it. Greek yogurt is jam packed with protein and the probiotics are good for the digestive track. I usually buy plain Chobani and add flavor using NuNaturals liquid stevia.
4. Avocados – I. Love. Avocados. I would eat them all day every day if I could. They are a healthy fat that are good for the heart and can even help with skin health. I am a firm believer that no salad is complete without a little avocado. They’re also delish in smoothies!
5. Hemp Seeds – Hemp seeds are a complete vegetarian protein packed with essential fats and vitamins. I love sprinkling them on salads, mashed potatoes, or smoothies for a little protein crunch.
6. Vega Sport Performance Protein – A daily must, I stay stocked on this protein at all times. I even bring it with me when I travel so I can have a healthy breakfast on the go. You’ve heard me rave about Vega before, so I won’t get into again, but this stuff is from the heavens.
7. Quest Bars – If you haven’t tried these yet, you must. I love them! You can bake with them, experiment, or just eat them straight out of the pack. They’re delicious no matter what. Luckily, Quest sent me home from Blend Retreat all stocked up.
8. Liquid Egg Whites – Looking for a low-cal protein punch? Look no further than egg whites! I add these to smoothies to up the protein levels, use them in baking, or whip up healthy no-cholestorol omelets. They’re a little on the pricey side, but I’d prefer to buy the liquid whites than buy a bunch of eggs and separate the whites out myself.
What food(s) would your kitchen feel naked without?
As for those giveaway winners, we have two!
The winner of the Summer Fit Kit from Pure Via is:
And the winner of Three Bani Bands is:
Congrats! I sent you both emails.
Note: Giveaway winners have 48 hours to respond before another winner is selected.
And I’ll leave you with this chubby squirrel I spotted in California, who could probably use some of these healthy foods…