Happy Monday, my fit and focused friends! What better way to kickstart this new week than with a new healthy, meatless recipe for MMAZ?! Today’s letter is “S” for… SQUASH!
I love love love squash, all kinds of squash, so it was tough to pick out what recipe I wanted to create. But then I realized that Friday is Pi Day (3.14), so I figured a pie would be a great way to go! What’s the best kind of pie? Pizza Pie, of course!
Like this vegan spaghetti and “meatballs” recipe, I took this traditional Italian dish and gave it a healthy twist. Give a big, hearty, Italian ciao to this Healthy Cauliflower Crust Squash Pizza!
The crust is deliciously healthy, as are the toppings. So healthy, in fact, you can eat the whole pie. Seriously, go ahead, eat it!
I won’t keep you waiting with a long winded post about all of the ingredients and health benefits (though this pizza is loaded with fiber!). All I’ll say is it’s vegan, it’s gluten free, it’s mighty tasty, and it’s a great alternative to those calorie loaded slices you can get at the pizza joint around the block.
Happy early Pi Day!
Want to get involved with MMAZ? Just add the MMAZ button to your post and link up to your recipe that uses the ingredient of the week! (Grab the code for the logo here). Head over to Better With Veggies’ MMAZ post each week, and add your recipe (including a photo!) at the bottom of the page. That’s it!
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup flax meal
- few dashes salt
- few dashes garlic powder
- few dashes dried oregano
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 small green squash, sliced
- 1 handful spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Daiya mozzarella cheese shreds (or cheese of choice)
- few dashes garlic powder
- few dashes italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make two flax eggs by combining ground flax seeds with water. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set into a gel (10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place the thawed cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until the texture resembles rice.
- Layer a few paper towels and spoon the processed cauliflower in the center. Wrap with more paper towels and squeeze gently to get rid of excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, flax eggs, flax meal, chia seeds, and spices in a large bowl. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Press the mixture on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Top with tomato sauce, squash, and spinach. Sprinkle with cheese and spices, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove, slice, and enjoy your healthy pizza pie!