You’ll never guess the secret ingredient in these healthy (and gluten free!) strawberry chocolate chip cookies.
When I was growing up, my mom started what just might be one of the best traditions ever. She always made us cookies after the first day of school.
After a day of new teachers, new classes and lots of new nerves, it was so comforting to walk into the house to the smell of freshly baked cookies (and even more comforting to eat them).
Now that I no longer have first days of school, I don’t have an annual excuse to make cookies. However, I carry on the tradition by baking cookies after my first day at a new job or Will’s first day in a new position after a promotion.
So, when my brother-in-law-to-be moved down to Austin and started a new job, I knew what I had to do. Cookies!
I didn’t want to make just any old cookie, though. Austin’s motto is “Keep Austin, weird,” so I wanted to make something unique for the new Austinite. Fortunately, I had just received a package of Lantana Fruit Hummus.
I’ve made Chocolate Covered Katie’s cookie dough dip, which is essentially hummus with some added goodies. If I can make a cookie dough dip out of regular hummus, I can certainly make cookies out of fruit hummus, right?
Fortunately, my thought process panned out and these Healthy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies were born.
I didn’t just use any of flavor of hummus for these recipes. I used, you guessed it, strawberry!
Yes, strawberry hummus exists! And it’s delicious.
Lantana Foods is known for their unique hummus flavors. They have bold ones, such as Black Bean, Edamame and Sriracha Carrot, and they recently came out with four new fruit-based hummus flavors: Strawberry, Blueberry, Mango and Cherry.
That means hummus is no longer just savory. It’s sweet, too. And it belongs in cookies!
The Lantana Strawberry Hummus gives these cookies extraordinary moisture and flavor, as well as a hint of protein and healthy fats. All you need is a few other simple ingredients, some kitchen equipment and a hot oven, and in a few minutes, you’ll be chowing down on warm, gooey and unique Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Side note: I waited for both Will and my brother-in-law-to-be to tell me they liked the cookies before telling them they were made with hummus! SURPRISE!
The cookie jar (which is actually just a Tupperware because I’m not fancy enough to have a cookie jar) is officially empty (and I didn’t eat them all!), so I’ll take that as a win!
- 4 Tbsp dairy free margarine
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup Lantana Strawberry Hummus
- 1 egg
- 1 c gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ cup semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together margarine and sugar until smooth. (I used a stand mixer.)
- Mix in the hummus and egg until combined.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a medium bowl.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Gently drop 1 to 1 ½ Tbsp-sized drops of dough on the sheet, at least an inch apart.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15 minutes or until edges get golden.
- Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
What’s your favorite type of cookie?