Get all the flavor without all the carbs with this low carb, Keto Chocolate Smoothie Bowl. Easy to make and even easier to eat.
This post is sponsored by Now Foods.
What if I told you you could have chocolate for breakfast and not feel guilty about it?
What do you mean, Nicole? TELL. ME. MORE, DAMNIT!
Alright, geez. You’ll get your chocolate fix. All you have to do is chill out with this cool and delicious Keto Chocolate Smoothie Bowl.
What the heck is Keto?
Keto is one of the latest diet trends, but it’s actually been around for quite a while. Remember Atkins (if you have no idea what Atkins is you are too young to even be cooking for yourself. Kidding! Kind of…)? It’s similar to that.
The keto (short for ketogenic) diet is a low carb, high fat diet that’s been proven to help many people lose weight without the pain of counting calories. The goal of keto is to reduce your carb intake and increase your fat intake to a point where your body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, or fat-burning mode. When this happens, your body will burn fat for energy and your blood sugar and insulin levels will likely go down.
While I don’t adhere to a keto diet (I don’t really follow any diet rules besides avoiding my food allergens), I do enjoy a good low-carb, high-fat meal from time to time and have quite a few friends who have successfully shed pounds thanks to keto.
Cool, I got it. Now tell me about this Keto Chocolate Smoothie Bowl.
In talking to a lot of my keto-loving friends, I realized that they tend to stick to the same things for breakfast day in and day out: eggs and bacon.
While I love me some eggs and bacon, those who read this blog regularly or follow me on instagram also know I also love a good smoothie bowl. I could never follow a diet that doesn’t allow me to have my weekly bowl of goodness, so I wanted to see if I could make a keto version of my beloved bowls.
I usually make my smoothie bowls with frozen banana, but since bananas are relatively high in carbs and sugars compared to other fruits, I needed to find more keto-worthy options. After some trial and error (note to self: do not put a huge handful of frozen cauliflower into a smoothie), I ended up with a blend of avocado, watermelon and blueberries for a delicious, creamy combo worthy of any keto-fan. With a few extra power ingredients, this low-carb, high-fat Keto Chocolate Smoothie Bowl will keep you full all morning long.
- 1 c almond or coconut milk
- 1 scoop Now Foods Egg White Protein
- 1 tsp Now Foods Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Now Foods Organic Maca Powder
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup frozen watermelon
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Now Foods Nutty Infusions Roasted Almond Butter
- 2 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Now Foods Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp Now Foods Raw Cacao Nibs
- small handful fresh blueberries
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a high speed blender, layering liquids, then powders and finally fruit.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Place a dollop of almond butter in the center and surround it with strawberry slices.
- Sprinkle coconut and cacao nibs around the bowl and top with fresh blueberries.
- Grab a big spoon and dig in!
What’s your favorite keto-friendly food?