Spring is upon us! Woohoo! Yippee!! FINALLY!!
It’s also Monday, which means I’m working in an ingredient for Meatless Mondays A-Z! This week’s ingredient is Unbleached Flour.
In lieu of Easter, I thought I’d do some springtime baking! I also wanted to get in some leavened goodies before Passover hits tonight. My boyfriend loves sugar cookies, so I decided to make some fun-shaped, colorful cookies to ring in this nice weather we’re (finally) having. I also found these cute cookie cutters at the dollar store (yep, the dollar store!) and have been dying to use them.
These cookies are super simple to make and even simpler to eat. One bite, two bite, three bite, gone! Nom nom nom.
I even went the extra mile and made my own frosting. Purple, minty green, and rosy pink seemed like springy colors. I felt like a chemist mixing the food coloring just so.
The only problem? I want to eat all the cookies!
Want to get involved with MMAZ? Just add the MMAZ button to your post and link up to your recipe that uses the ingredient of the week! (Grab the code for the logo here). Head over to Better With Veggies’ MMAZ post each week, and add your recipe (including a photo!) at the bottom of the page. That’s it!
What’s your favorite springtime dessert?
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup shortening (crisco vegetable shortening is vegan)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg (flax egg for vegan)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5 Tbsp almond milk
- food coloring
- Beat margarine and shortening with an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds or so.
- Add half the flour, egg, sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat til throughly combined.
- Beat in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough at a time. Cut into shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Beat shortening and confectioners sugar together until smooth.
- Slowly add in the vanilla and the milk.
- Divide into 3 small bowls.
- In bowl one, add 3 drops red food coloring and two drops blue. Mix until purple.
- In bowl two, add 3 drops green food colors and 2 drop yellow. Mix until minty green.
- In bowl three, add 3 drops red food coloring and 1 drop blue. Mix until rosy pink.
- Once cookies have cooled, frost and top with sprinkles!
a Rafflecopter giveaway