MMAZ? Modern Moms Are Zoologists? Monkey’s Make Awesome Zippers? No silly, it’s Meatless Monday’s A to Z!
Meatless Monday’s A-Z is an awesome recipe sharing and cooking program started by Heather over at Better with Veggies to find new vegetarian recipes using new ingredients each week. The alphabet helps determine the ingredients, so for instance week 1 would be cooking with apples, week two would be cooking with beets. Fun, right? But wait, there’s more.
Because sharing is caring, it’s broken up into two weeks. The first Monday, you share your creation using the ingredient. The next Monday, you make someone else’s creation!
- Create a Recipe: the first week will be a usual link-up of original recipes created with the featured ingredient. It can be easy, complicated, or in between. Snacks, appetizers, salads, dinner – whatever inspires you that day! The goal is help you get creative and try something new, but you can also link up to a recipe you posted previously.
- Cook a Recipe: the second week is a new link-up of recipes you cooked using the featured ingredient. You can choose one of the recipes created for MMAZ the week before, or you can use one you found somewhere else. The only big rule is to never share the full recipe on your post, but we encourage you to link back to the recipe on the creator’s website.
So now on to the good stuff – the food! 2014 starts off with “O” and “O” is for… anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
OATS! (and in 2 weeks, P is for potato!)
I decided to spruce up on of my classic overnight oats with some delicious pumpkin. I just made it up as I went along, but boy, did it come out delicious! Welcome to the world Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats!
This takes 2 minutes to make (seriously). After you whip it up, it just has to sit in the fridge to thicken up.
Make it at night, pop it in the fridge, and behold the power of chia seeds! In the morning, you’ll have a grab-and-go breakfast!
Want to get involved with MMAZ? Just add the MMAZ button to your post and link up to your recipe that uses the ingredient of the week! (Grab the code for the logo here). Head over to Better With Veggies’ MMAZ post each week, and add your recipe (including a photo!) at the bottom of the page. That’s it!
So, what’s your favorite oats recipe?
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
- sweetener of choice (I use stevia)
- 1 cup almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a jar.
- Shake well (make sure lid is secured).
- Allow to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Enjoy the next morning!