It’s time for another round of Meatless Monday A-Z! This week is P for POTATO!
Who doesn’t love potatoes? Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes. I mean – you really can’t go wrong.
Well, I suppose you can. Potatoes can get unhealthy very quickly, which is why I tend to go after the regular potato’s savvy counterpart, the sweet potato!
These potatoes are the perfect addition to any winter meal. Enter this vegan Sweet Potato Bean-Free Chili!
That’s right, a no-bean chili. So you don’t have to worry about those often
smelly embarrassing side effects of chili consumption.
Chili is perfect on a chilly night (See what I did there? It’s ok to laugh.). The other great thing about chili? You just throw everything into one big pot or skillet. That means easy cooking and easy cleaning. Wins all around.
Want to get involved with MMAZ? Just add the MMAZ button to your post and cook using the ingredient of the week! (Grab the code for the logo here). Head over to Better With Veggies’ MMAZ post each week and add your recipe (including a photo!) at the bottom of the page. That’s it!
Also, don’t forget to enter to win a jar of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil! That could be an interesting addition to this chili dish… hmmm… Enter here!
What’s your favorite thing to make with potatoes?
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms (cut into small slices)
- dash of salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1½ cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 handfuls of chopped kale
- In a large skillet, heat the mushrooms over medium-low heat and season with salt and cumin.
- After just a minute or two, add the onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potato, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, crushed red pepper, and paprika.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. If after 20 minutes, your mixture looks to liquidy, don't worry. Just remove the lid and it will evaporate quickly.
- Add in chopped kale and stir until kale is wilted.