Alright, gang, it’s time to get saucy. Apple Saucey that is! (hardy har, chuckle chuckle).
Note: This post is sponsored by Musselman’s Apple Sauce.
For real, though, do you all know how awesome apple sauce is? I don’t think I did until Musselman’s (an awesome apple sauce company) reached out to me about their #AppleSauceSwap campaign.
Did you know that you can use apple sauce to replace oils and butters in recipes? It will add moisture and flavor to your baking while cutting fat and calories. Ummm, yes please! It’s so easy, too – a simple 1:1 ratio. Goodbye oily oils. Hello, healthy deliciousness!
Could it really be that easy? Musselman’s sent me some of their Unsweetened Apple Sauce to put the the test. My experiment? Turn one of my favorite child hood snacks into a healthy treat. Hitherto, the creation of these Healthy Apple Pie Poptarts!
I used Musselman’s Apple Sauce in all three components of these delectable tarts: the crust, the filling, and the glaze. The result? Apple-icious!
Regular Poptarts are filled with ingredients you can’t pronounce. These? Au natural! They’re vegan, gluten/soy/oil-free and are filled with protein and the perfect amount of fiber. Here are the stats:
214 Calories, 11g Fat (mostly from almond flour), 20g Carbs, 12g Protein, 3.5g Fiber
Did I mention they’re boyfriend approved? Yep, he even asked for seconds! #winning
Recipe below, and here are a bunch of other ideas from Musselman’s on how to make the #AppleSauceSwap:
- Snack cravings can come at anytime. Avoid the vending machine by having a single-serve cup in your desk drawer. No refrigeration needed.
- Pass on the ice cream; freeze apple sauce cups for a slushy, cool treat.
- Put warm apple sauce on pancakes instead of syrup.
- Add apple sauce to your morning oatmeal to get one more serving of fruit a day.
- Heat apple sauce in the microwave and then top with granola to make a quick apple crisp.
- Add a 4oz. serving of apple sauce to your meatloaf recipe, keeping the dish moist without adding fat.
- Freeze individual cups of apple sauce and use it in your kids’ lunch bag to keep food cool. It will thaw out by lunchtime, and give them a slushy treat for dessert.
- Change up your favorite smoothie by using apple sauce instead of milk or yogurt.
- 1/2 c unflavored pea protein powder*
- 3/4 c almond flour/meal
- 1/4 c Musselman's Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- few drops vanilla stevia
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 c Musselman's Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/4 c stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- pinch of ginger
- pinch of cloves
- 1/8 c Musselman's Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/3 c powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 30-35 minutes, stirring every 4 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, make your crust by combining protein powder, almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in apple sauce and stevia and add water 1 Tbsp at a time until a stiff dough forms.
- Divide dough into 8 balls and place on parchment paper (so it won't stick). Shape each ball into a rectangle (poptart shape).
- Place 4 of the rectangles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- When you filling is ready, place a spoonful of filling into the center of each of the 4 rectangles, keeping a bare perimeter around the edges.**
- Place the remaining 4 rectangles on top of the first four and press the edges down firmly with your fingertips to form a pocket and seal the dough on all sides.
- Press the tines of a fork around the edge of each tart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- While the tarts are baking, prepare your glaze by whisking the apple sauce and sugar together in a small bowl.
- When tarts are cool, top with glaze and enjoy!
- *You can sub for vanilla protein powder.
- **You'll have filling leftover. I use mine on top of rice cakes or mixed into oatmeal. It's essentially just apple butter!
- 214 Calories, 11g Fat, 20g Carbs, 12g Protein, 3.5g Fiber
Also, don’t forget about the Mega Awesome Stuff Giveaway going on over here! Have an apple-tastic day!
This post is linked up with the Virtual Vegan Potluck: