I can’t believe the Nike Women’s Half Marathon was almost a week ago! This week’s Friday Five theme is Five Things I Love About _____, which lends itself perfectly to a race recap! So kickback and checkout Five Things I Love About the Nike Women’s Half DC!
- The Expotique – The Nike Women’s Expotique was amazing!! It took me less than five minutes to get my bib and race shirt before I headed into the Expotique tent for all the fun extras. Upon entering, there was a huge digital sign that pulled up personalized motivational greetings. Check it out!
The sponsors of this race were incredible. Nike was providing running analysis, Nuun had a cute little bar with free samples, Luna Bar allowed you to create your own race sign, and Paul Mitchell offered up a hair braiding salon! Here are some scenes from the Expotique:
Note: I made that sign at the Luna booth. My boyfriend refused to hold it for me 🙁
- NWHM Blogger Brunch – After exploring the Expotique, I headed over to Sequoia for a Blogger Brunch organized by Stephanie from Cat Lady Runs and Roan from Love Life Logistics. The restaurant was beautiful and though the service was a bit lack luster, the company was AMAZING! Stephanie and Roan put together a beautiful brunch and got a ton of sponsors (which meant some awesome swag)! Some scenes from the brunch:
I loved meeting so incredible bloggers and putting faces to blog names and twitter handles. Big shout outs to some of the lovely ladies I met:
Cynthia from You Signed Up For What (who also helps hosts the Friday Five and is pictured with me above!)
Desi from A Northern Girl
Heather from Another Girl Runner
Lizza from My Life As Lizza
Jen from Going the Distance
Kathleen & Lauren from Sister to Sister Running Blog
Elizabeth from Train with Bain
Chaitali from Running, and Enjoying the Journey
and of course Stephanie from Cat Lady Runs and Roan from Love Life Logistics!
- The Course – One of the reasons I love doing long distance races like these is that it really gives you an opportunity to explore a city. I’d been to DC before, but never like this. I felt like I was exploring history as I ran past all the monuments and through the gorgeous city of DC. The view at the start was priceless:
The gun went off and about 15,000 people headed toward the capital. Then we ran along the National Mall, getting to see things like the Washington Monument and Lincoln’s Memorial before heading over the Arlington Memorial Bridge, along the Potamic River, and back up to the start in central DC. Look at me go!
- Setting a PR – That’s right! I set a new PR! My previous PR, set only because it was my first half marathon, was 2:02 and a few seconds. My goal was to run this half in 2 hours. A few miles in, I realized that if I kept it up, I’d be able to run in UNDER 2 hours! New goal: set! Things got tough around mile 8 and 9, but I kept telling myself to focus and reminding myself to just run (like my Foot Notes said! – don’t forget to enter that giveaway here!). I pushed myself and crossed the finish line at 1:57:38!! Woohoo!!!
- The Bling – At the end of the Nike Women’s Half, rather than a traditional medal, finishers get a Tiffany’s necklace. Delivered to you on a silver platter. By a guy in tuxedo. Does it get any better than that?! No. The answer is no. I have worn my necklace every day since the race. I love it!
I can’t say one bad thing about this race. I hope I get to run it again one day! In the meantime, I’ll be checking out all the other Friday Fives from the link-up! Check them out over at You Signed Up For What, Eat Pray Run DC, & Mar On The Run!
Also, don’t forget to check out and enter the Momentum Jewelry GIVEAWAY going on over here!
What’s your favorite race-day memory?
Check out more recaps from some of the awesome bloggers I met at the Blogger Brunch!