Want to add some delicious biscuits to your meal but don’t have a lot of time? These quick & easy gluten free biscuits are just what you need!
Bread is tricky for me. Since I’m allergic to wheat, “normal” bread is off the table, and a lot of pre-packaged gluten-free breads have cornstarch or soy protein, making them no-no’s as well. Needless to say, I don’t have bread very often. I know I could make my own, but breads are usually such a pain. You have to make the dough and wait for it to rise 5 times and then cook it forever. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Well for some reason or another (probably because I’ve been in marathon mode [yes, the race is TODAY!] and needing carbs), I was craving bread, and decided to make some biscuits to go with the soup I was making for my weekly dinner.
My craving came at the perfect time, because this month’s Recipe Redux theme is Creative Quick Breads. Quick? I can get on board with that. And so my mission became creating a biscuit recipe that didn’t require the dough to rise and would take under 30 minutes to make. Thus the birth of these Quick & Easy Gluten Free Biscuits!
I was originally going to use shortening in this recipe, but then I realized my Crisco has soybean oil. Boo! So I made the executive decision to use coconut oil as my fat. I’m glad I did! While the biscuits didn’t turn out as flaky as I’d hoped, they had a nice density to them. They’re already vegan, and if you sub the flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free blend) for coconut or almond flour, these can also be paleo-ized!
As the title suggests, these biscuits are quick & easy to make. You simply blend all your ingredients together, cut out biscuits (which I admit can be a bit messy since the dough is sticky) and bake them for just a few minutes. No waiting for the dough to rise. No chilling it in the fridge. No baking for forever. Just mix, cut, bake and eat!
They’re best straight out of the oven, but if you’re having leftovers, I suggest toasting them to get them all warmed up again and eating them with melted butter and honey. NOM!
- 2c gluten free all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill blend)
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil (in hardened form)
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using the back of a fork, cut in the coconut oil and mix until a coarse meal is formed.
- Add milk and vinegar and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Line a counter with parchment paper, place your dough on top and work it into a ball (the dough will be quite sticky, so I suggest wetting your hands). Then gently press the dough out until it's about 1 inch thick, and cut out the biscuits using a biscuit cutter or the top of a small mason jar. Continue to gather up the dough, press it out and cut out biscuits until all the dough is used. You should be able to create about 10-12 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheet. And bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown.
- Enjoy fresh out of the oven!
Are you a bread-lover? What’s your favorite kind?