Full disclosure: I am currently sitting on my couch with two fans directed straight onto me. My hair is pulled up as high as it can possibly go and my dress… well… let’s just say I’m sprawled out and it’s not so attractive. This heat wave in NYC is for real! Thank goodness for smoothies, amIright?!
The only thing better than cooling off on a hot summer day with a smoothie is cooling off on a hot summer day with a smoothie bowl! And what’s the best summer smoothie bowl? A Tropical Smoothie Bowl! Obviously.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is: Fresh From The Garden. I don’t have a garden in my urban apartment, but I do have an awesome fruit stand guy outside my office. That’s kind of like a garden, right?
Anywho, after all the delicious fruit I had in Grenada, I was craving juicy, tropical flavors. Luckily, watermelon, strawberries and figs are in season, and summer is the best time to find more tropical fruits like papaya, mango and pineapple.
Throw them all in a blender and what to you get? A little taste of the tropics!
Top it off with even more fruit, and you’re officially in paradise. You’re welcome.
- small handful frozen watermelon chunks
- small handful frozen pineapple chunks
- small handful frozen mango chunks
- small handful frozen papaya chunks
- 1/4-1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (add more as needed)
- optional: Berry Protein Powder
- sliced strawberries, shredded coconut, sliced papaya, figs
- Place frozen fruit, almond milk and protein powder in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with fresh fruit or anything you'd like.
- Be transported to an island paradise.
What’s your favorite summer fruit?
What to you eat/drink to stay cool?