Who’s excited that it’s finally nice enough to run outside again?! Who’s excited that the sun is now up earlier?! Adios cold weather! Peace out dark morning! I’m running in the warmth and the sunshine!
There were a lot of exclamation points in that paragraph – but I’m super excited to be running outside again and I’m even more excited to run with sunglasses on!
I run with shades for a few reasons:
- I run in the morning, usually as the sun is rising. While gorgeous, that rising sun can cause some nasty glare. I can’t see where I’m going and falling flat on my face is sure to mess up my pace.
- I want to protect my eyes and skin from the sun. No early onset crows feet for this chick (fingers crossed!).
- I can people watch while I run, and no one will know!
Sunglasses are usually not something I’ll spend a lot of money on. I bought my first pair of running shades on Canal St in Manhattan for $10 (they broke soon after), and I got my second pair for $4 from a discount department store. Hey, big spender!
They seemed to be just fine, though you can definitely tell they are cheap. I also had to place them JUST SO on my face so they wouldn’t bounce around as I ran.
Then I heard about the new Marbella frames from Under Armour (just released this month!). They are designed specifically for female athletes!
When Under Armour offered to send me a pair to try, I thought, why the heck not? Look how pretty!
A little background on the Marbella frames. They have:
- ArmourSight – a lens technology that delivers up to 20% more undistorted peripheral vision and are up to 10x stronger than ordinary polycarbonate lenses (sounds hi-tech and awesome)
- Adjustable Nose Pad – so I can fit it perfectly to my schnoz
- ArmourFusion – built from a combo of titanium and Grilamid (yea – not sure what that is either but sounds kinda like a character from Lord of the Rings!) for superior strength and flexibility (this also makes them so lightweight)
- ThreePoint Grip – for better fit
- Air Flow Technology – to keep you cool and comfortable
- 100% UVA, UVB, & UVC protection (take that crows feet!)
The folks at Under Armour sent me a black and green pair, which is perfect because most of my running gear is green or turquoise – not sure why but it is – and I’m all for matching!
The first thing I noticed about these glasses when I took them out of the box was how nice they felt! They are super light and sturdy. The ear pieces didn’t just flop back down like my cheapo pair. I hadn’t even tried them on and I was starting to see why people shell out more dough for sunglasses.
Then I put them on. They fit my face perfectly. What do you think?
Then came the true test: the run. I headed out on a sunny day. I did my run, came back inside, did some foam rolling, whipped up a smoothie, headed for the shower, and… wait…what?! I still have my sunglasses on!
These frames are so comfortable, I forgot I had them on inside! If that’s not a selling point, I don’t know what is! Here they are in another color scheme:
I am now going to wear these for all sorts of outdoor activities, like training for my Spartan Race (you can still enter that giveaway here or below) or whilst enjoy a Quest Bar out in the sun (another giveaway you can enter over here or below).
Check out the UA Marabella frames for yourself and snag a pair! We can be twinsies.
Do you run with sunglasses on? What’s your favorite brand?
NOTE: I received the Under Armour Marabella frames for free in exchange for a review as part of my Girls Gone Sporty Ambassadorship. That said, all opinions expressed in the blog are my own, and I would never positively endorse a product or brand I did not believe in.