These Simple and Savory Huevos Rancheros are sure to please, whether you whip them up as a hearty morning meal or as breakfast for dinner.
When I was in Monte Verde a few months ago, my friends and I found a cafe, Stella’s Bakery, that we really enjoyed. Since it was right around the corner from where we were staying, we ended up going for breakfast every morning. We tried a few different dishes between our group, but the overwhelming favorite was the Huevos Rancheros.
Huevos Rancheros is a traditionally Mexican dish consisting of fried eggs on top of hot corn tortillas smothered in cooked salsa. Most versions also have refried beans, and the version at Stella’s was topped with avocado and bacon. Pretty much everything is better with avocado and bacon, right? RIGHT!
I promised I would try to recreate the dish once we got home, and when I realized this month’s Recipe Redux theme was “Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast,” I knew now was the perfect time to try my hand at creating Simple and Savory Huevos Rancheros.
The result? DELICIOUS! I made mine tortilla-less because, food allergies, but I didn’t miss the tortillas at all. The beans, runny yolk and spicy salsa make for a flavorful combo. The bacon adds crunch on top of more flavor, and the avocado is the icing on the cake.
Will even asked me to make it again. That’s when I know it’s really a winner.
So let’s talk about how you make this mamma jamma because it’s SO EASY, hence the name “Simple and Savory.”
You make the salsa by pureeing whole, peeled tomatoes, garlic, jalapeño, onion and salt together and then simmering it for about ten minutes.
You fry your eggs: Oil a pan. Heat it up. Crack eggs into pan. Season eggs. Let cook. Badabing. Fried eggs. (By the way, I can’t take credit for the eggs in this photo. Will cooked them perfectly!)
If you’re using tortillas, you can fry them up with a little oil or toast them for a few minutes like Will did. Then you layer tortillas, refried beans (we bought a can and heated it up in the microwave), fried eggs, salsa, cooked bacon and avocado. Voila – Simple and Savory Huevos Rancheros!
It makes for the perfect hearty breakfast, or you can enjoy it like we did: breakfast for dinner!
- 15 oz can of peeled, whole tomatoes
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 jalepeño pepper (less or more depending on desired spice level)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz can refried beans, heated
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 corn tortillas, fried (I ate mine without to make it allergy friendly)
- 8 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalepeño, salt and pepper in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour salsa into a medium pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Heat up your beans and tortillas if you haven't done so already.
- Grease a frying pan and place over medium heat.
- Once heated, crack your eggs in the pan (working in batches). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry until whites are cooked and yolks no longer have a translucent film.
- Assemble by placing 2 tortillas on a plate. Spread 1/4 of your beans across the tortillas. Place 2 fried eggs on top of the beans, cover with 1/4 of the salsa and top with 1/4 of the avocado slices and 2 pieces of cooked, chopped bacon. Repeat for each plate.
- Dig in!
Have you ever had Huevos Rancheros?
Do you enjoy breakfast for dinner?