Your guests won’t miss the gluten or dairy in this healthier version of a hearty classic. This Spaghetti Squash Bolognese is sure to please.
This post is sponsored by NOW Foods.
Although Fall isn’t quite in the air yet here in Austin, Fall produce is still coming into season. Call me basic but I’m a huge fall of Fall veggies, especially squash, so when Will and I were trying to decide what to have for dinner this week, I knew 1) I wanted to make something with squash and 2) I wanted to try something new!
We narrowed it down to Italian and from there I decided to try my hand at a bolognese sauce. The result was miraculous!
It all started with some avocado oil from NOW Food’s Ellyndale® line. I’d never cooked with this oil before, but it’s definitely going to be my new go-to. Not only does it have a high smoke point (making it ideal for sautéing and stir-frying) but it also has a rich and smooth flavor, making it perfect for this hearty dish. BONUS: this oil is filled with healthy monounsaturated fats and Vitamin E, making it one of the healthiest cooking oils around.
I heated up two tablespoons of this delicious stuff and cooked up some bacon, garlic and onion (this is what gives this dish a BANG of flavor). After that, I simply browned my meat, added in my tomatoes along with some more seasoning, added the bacon, garlic and onion back in and let it simmer to perfection.
While that’s simmering, I got my spaghetti squash ready. My number one trick to cooking spaghetti squash is to microwave it for a few minutes first. This softens up the squash making it MUCH easier to cut it in half to roast. My second favorite trick? Drizzle more avocado oil (along with some salt and pepper) on the squash before roasting. Flavor to the max! MWAH!
Once it’s done, I threw it in the blender for a hot second to create that perfect bolognese texture.
So was Will happy with my dinner decision?
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (I used Now Foods Ellyndale Naturals Avocado Oil)
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6-8 white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large spaghetti squashes
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook bacon, onion and garlic until bacon is browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, brown the ground pork and beef.
- Add the bacon, onions and garlic back in along with the rest of the ingredients. Stir, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat, cover and cook for about an hour (stirring every few minutes).
- When done, work in 2-3 batches to place in a blender and blend for a few seconds until the sauce is still meaty but no longer super chunky.
- Poke holes with a fork or knife all over squash. Place in the microwave for 10 minutes.
- Let cool while your oven preheats to 400 degrees.
- Once cool, cut the tops and bottoms off the squashes and cut the squashes in half length-wise.
- Drizzle each squash with 1 tbsp avocado oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place face down on a pan (you'll likely need 2 pans for the 4 halves) and roast for 45 minutes.
- When done, removed from oven, scoop out the seeds and shred the squash using 2 forks.
- Place spaghetti squash in a bowl.
- Top with sauce.
- DIG IN!
Are you a squash fan?
What’s your favorite type of pasta sauce?