Happy St. Patty’s Day! Have you tried my Healthy Shamrock Shake yet? That’s what’ I’m having for breakfast.
I know Monday’s can be tough, so many days standing between the weekend and all, but I like to view Monday’s as a fresh start. A new week means new recipes, which is why I love participating in MMAZ! This week, me and a bunch of other bloggers are creating recipes using TOFU, and linking up over on Better With Veggies!
Some of my favorite tofu recipes include breakfast scrambles, this Crock Pot Sesame Tofu and this Lemon Baked Tofu. Those are both great for breakfast and dinner, so I decided to venture into tofu for lunch. Enter this Spicy Mustard-Crusted Rosemary Tofu Sandwich:
I had some squash left over from last week’s MMAZ, so I threw that in for some added nutrients, flavor and filling. Plus, the zucchini adds some green – perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
The tofu is nice and crispy, the mustard gives it a nice kick, and this whole recipe takes less than ten minutes to make from start to finish!
So next time you’re looking for a quick lunch or are craving a sandwich for dinner, whip up this delicious vegan dish!
Are you a tofu fan? How do you like to prepare it?
- 1/4 block extra firm tofu, cut into small slabs
- 1/4 small yellow squash, cut into coin slices
- 1/4 small zucchini, cut into coin slices
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp rosemary
- 1 tsp flax seed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices whole wheat bread thins (or bread of choice)
- Spray a medium sized pan with non-stick spray and heat on stove over medium heat.
- Prepare your tofu by spreading the mustard evenly over all sides. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Prepare your squash and zucchini by tossing with flax seed oil and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place tofu, squash and zucchini in pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes (until tofu is golden brown and slightly crispy), flip, and cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Remove to a plate.
- Place your bread in the same pan and toast, about a minute per side.
- Remove your bread from heat.
- On one slice layer: yellow squash, tofu, zucchini, repeat until all ingredients are used. Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Eat up!
- You can replace flax seed oil with olive oil or oil of choice.
This recipe is also shared over at Hello Veggie’s Healthy Vegan Fridays!