Will and I order sushi probably once a week. It’s kind of a problem – almost as bad as my gummy bear addiction. When Valentine’s Day rolled around, we decided to do something different for dinner. So instead of ordering sushi, we figured we’d make our own. I know… we really like to step outside the box.
We went out and bought sushi grade salmon and tuna and found a perfectly ripe avocado (never happens – it was magical). Will asked if we needed sushi rice and seaweed. Nah, I said. We have some at home.
Why I thought we had sushi rice and seaweed just stocked away like staples in the pantry, I’m not sure. We did not have sushi rice. We did have a single sheet of seaweed paper, or nori, if you want to get all technical.
Hmm… ok… well… plan b it is.
I looked up how to make sushi-like rice with regular rice and decided to go with a sort of deconstructed sushi. And so, the Valentine’s Day Sushi Bowl was created.
And it was delicious!
Mostly because I ate it while wearing this:
Yep. I have a kimono. I’m cool that way.
Will didn’t want to go with a bowl. He wanted to make sushi on individual beds of rice, like you can get at the restaurant. This was his sushi:
I’m sure it still tasted good…
Also, when I was cleaning up after dinner, I realized I had a whole other unopened packet of nori…. Whoops!
- 1 cup uncooked short grain white rice
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- optional for rice: 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 lb sushi grade tuna, sliced into thin pieces
- 1/2 lb sushi grade salmon, slice into thin pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed), crumbled
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into sticks
- sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Make rice according to packaging directions.
- Once rice is done, stir in rice vinegar (and sugar if you like your sushi rice a bit sweeter).
- Place one cup of cooked rice in the center of each bowl (recipe makes 2 sushi bowls).
- Surround each rice mound with the fish slices, avocado slices, and cucumber slices.
- Top the rice with nori crumbles and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Grab your chopsticks and kimono and enjoy!
What’s your favorite food to order in?
Ever try to recreate it at home?
Do you have a kimono? Is it gold and white or blue and black?