Enjoy a slice of Italian heaven with the best gluten free, vegan pizza crust of all time. Delicious and totally allergy-friendly!
This post has been updated from it’s original version.
When I saw this month’s Recipe Redux theme, a Vacation-Inspired Recipe, I started running through all of the amazing places I’ve been to and reminiscing about all of the unforgettable meals I’ve had.
Start unpacking your favorite vacation memories. Think about a trip you took state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe from an unforgettable meal you enjoyed. Or, create a recipe from a native ingredient you saw or tasted on your travels.
I thought about the incredible ceviche I had in Costa Rica, the classic fish & chips from London, the haggis I had in Scotland (ok, that one wasn’t so incredible), but the one that stuck out most was the food from Italy.
Will and I had been dating about 6-months. I was studying abroad in London and he came to visit over spring break. We spent the week galavanting about Venice and Florence. We explored the canals of Venice on a gondola, we went on a wine tour through Tuscany, we saw amazing buildings and some of the most incredible art, and of course, we feasted like Italian kings (baby kings – look how bitty we are!).
I enjoyed pizza and pasta in all of it’s glory, but since those amazing meals, I’ve developed an allergy to wheat. My pizza-eating days seemed to be over.
When Will and I moved in together a few years later, I learned about his family’s tradition of Friday night pizza nights. His dad used to make these incredible pizzas decked out to the nines in veggies and sausage. I didn’t want to deprive Will of his family tradition, so pizza night came to Brooklyn (it’s just monthly instead of weekly for the sake of our waistlines). I, of course, could not have a regular pizza crust, so while Will rolled out his dough, I set out experimenting with creating the perfect gluten free crust.
It took many, many pizza nights experimenting with different flours, ratios, ingredients, pans and cook times. Some crusts came out like crackers. Some were too doughy. The cauliflower crust attempt was an epic fail.
But eventually, finally, I created the best gluten free pizza crust of all time, and it just so happens to also be vegan!
It’s the perfect combo of doughy and crispy. It’s foldable and just pure delicious. It does require a pre-bake in the oven before adding all the toppings, but that doesn’t bug me one bit – just adds to the perfection, really.
The ingredients are simple and the outcome is MWAH! Delizioso.
- sprinkle of arrowroot starch (to create non-stick surface)
- 1 packet fast acting yeast (or about 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (divided) + extra as needed
- 3 cups gluten free, all purpose flour (I use Now Foods All Purpose GF Flour)
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 395 degrees and liberally dust a rimmed baking sheet or pizza stone with arrowroot starch. This will insure your crust won't stick to your baking sheet/stone.
- While you oven heats up, add 3/4 cup warm water to a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine your flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Create a well in the flour mixture and pour in the remaining 1/2 cup warm water, olive oil and yeast mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined. The dough will be rather sticky. (add more water as needed)
- Place your dough in the center of your baking sheet/stone.
- Wet your hands and gently press the dough out from the center until your crust is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove dough from the oven (it should have a few cracks on it - that's ok!).
- Add your toppings (pizza sauce, cheese, veggies, spices)** and place back in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, cut into 8 equal pieces and enjoy!
*Omit this if your flour blend already contains xanthan gum. Otherwise you're dough may end up too sticky/gummy. **I suggest putting all veggies and meat underneath your cheese. That way, your cheese can get a nice little crispy crust to it.
Plus, be sure to check out all the other vacation-inspired recipes below!