I can’t believe it’s the last create week of MMAZ! After cooking our way through the alphabet, we’ve finally reached the last letter: Z for ZEST!
There are so many things you can do with zest, but after being at Blend and testing out all the different types of energy bites (including Lindsay’s Healthy Bites (YUM!) and the Kidz Shake snack bites), I decided to create my own.
It’s also National Iced Tea Month and after receiving some goodies to celebrate from Pure Via (more on that tomorrow), I thought iced-tea flavored energy bites would be a great way to get in on the celebratory action. And what is iced tea without a little lemon zest, right?
These bites have the perfect amount of sweet zesty-ness. The Iced Tea flavor is refreshing, so they’re good first thing in the morning. Plus the good-for-you carbs and tiny bit of caffeine from the tea are perfect fuel for a workout. The lemon zest also made my kitchen smell amazing.
Just grab one or two and off to the gym with you!
Have you ever made energy bites? What’s your favorite bite combination?
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp zest
- 2 tsp instant iced tea powder, unsweetened (I used Lipton)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- optional coating: extra zest, coconut, oats
- Place all ingredients (except optional coating) in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Process/blend until very sticky.*
- Roll into bite sized balls.
- Place any additional coating ingredients on a plate and gently roll the balls through.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate.
- *This will take a few minutes. You'll know it's ready when all the ingredients start to clump and stick together in one big ball.